When Someone Dies, What Should I Do?

  • When the person dies at home without hospice care, call 911, and have in hand a do-not-resuscitate document if it exists. Without one, paramedics will likely start emergency procedures and, except where permitted to pronounce death, may take the person to an emergency room for a doctor to make the declaration.
  • When the person dies at home under hospice care, call the hospice nurse, who can declare the death. If you are desiring a natural burial at Countryside Memorial Park call Sunny day or night at 512-203-9739. She will connect you with a mortuary transport service that will take the body to a mortuary refrigeration facility if needed. If you are planning a Home or Family Directed Funeral and will be keeping the body at home, Sunny can connect you with an independent, licensed Funeral Director who is supportive of Natural Burial and can guide you every step of the way.
  • Contact Sunny Markham (512) 203-9739 when the death has occurred. She will gently guide you through the process of “what to do next”.